The Beaver: Scotland’s Ally
Following the success of our first conference in 2015, ‘The Necessary Beaver’, join us on 6 July to celebrate and discuss the reintroduction of the Eurasian beaver in our 2019 conference, ‘The Beaver: Scotland’s Ally’.
The European beaver is the first mammal to be reintroduced to the UK and is beginning to flourish in some parts of Scotland after a 400 year gap but is still threatened by lack of understanding of their ecosystem, methods of mitigation and unknown levels of persecution and killing.
These remarkable mammals have a huge amount to offer us and can play a key role in the restoration of natural waterways, bringing a boom in biodiversity and amelioration of some of our worst environmental problems, including flooding, drought and pollution, as well as assisting a growth in ecotourism
Our list of speakers is still being finalised at the moment, but please see a list of speakers already confirmed across the page and below the subjects that our speakers will be covering:
- Two co-existing species: beaver and Atlantic salmon.
- The return of beavers and the benefits that they bring
- The way forward – reflections and thoughts on the future of beavers in Scotland.
- Experiences and recommendations on the mitigation of beavers
- Results of the 5 year River Otter Beaver Trial, including some of the work by University of Exeter looking at hydrology of wetlands and the ecological impacts beavers have on it.
- Highlighting how beavers can provide benefits to everyone in a productively farmed landscape
- Getting ready for beavers – what can be done to prepare for arrival by natural means into the Cairngorms National Park
Tea & Coffee and Lunch will be provided.
We are hoping to organise a beaver tour at Bamff Ecotourism on the Sunday after the conference, 7 July 2019, more details we be made available in due course.
This will be a packed day of fascinating presentations that will bring together a dynamic mix of interested parties for enlightened debate and networking on this most exciting of topics.
Tickets can be purchased until midnight on the 30th June.
We look forward to seeing you there!
- 9:00 - 10:00
- Tea & Coffee
- 10:00 - 1:00
- Morning Session
- 1:00 - 2:00
- 2:00 - 5:00
- Afternoon Session